Story of the week: If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe
Here is a link to the story: https://youtu.be/QCDPkGjMBro
Click here to download sequencing cards. You can work with your child to retell the story. There are lots of cards, please start with a few and add more as your child is better able to retell the story.
For math this week, we have included a recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies. It is a great activity to support math skills as well as talk about textures, smells and what the different ingredients bring to the cookie.
- 1/2cup butter
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 1/4cup brown sugar packed
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1large egg
- 1 3/4cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Microwave the butter for about 40 seconds. Butter should be completely melted but shouldn’t be hot.
- In a large bowl, mix butter with the sugars until well-combined.
- Stir in vanilla and egg until incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix dough until just combined. Dough should be soft and a little sticky but not overly sticky.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop out 1.5 tablespoons of dough (medium cookie scoop) and place 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until cookies are set. They will be puffy and still look a little under-baked in the middle.
Materials Needed: Paper plate or brown construction paper, black paint. Let your child have fun by making their own chocolate chip cookie.