The goal of discipline is to help children to develop self-control; therefore, it is necessary for children to understand rules, the reasons for them, and the consequences of their own actions. Preventing problems is essential to good discipline. The following techniques are used to establish discipline at BrightPath:
- Distracting children from potential problems
- Reminding children of the rules
- Helping children to solve problems and to make choices
- Allowing children to take time away from the group to regain control
- Ignoring inappropriate behavior
- Noticing and reinforcing appropriate behavior
- Helping children to articulate their feelings
- Helping children to understand the consequences of their actions
We do not use abusive, neglectful, corporal, humiliating, or frightening punishment under any circumstances. Children are not physically restrained in any manner unless it is necessary to protect the health and safety of the child or others.
We may remove a child from a situation and redirect them to more appropriate behavior; however, we do not practice "time out" as we believe isolation of a child is inappropriate and harsh at any time.